So, this info is from Blender Guru and his YouTube video building a brick road.
There are five different types of texture maps used. You can’t just use a color map (diffuse map) to achieve realistic textures.
Photoshop can produce a bump map, but download Crazy Bump (bump mapping software) to create the five different image bump maps.
- Diffuse Map or Color map – this is the image of a texture – evenly lit
- Normal map – bump for some depth
- Specularity map – for the glossiness of the textures
- Occlusion map – for the depth in the cracks
- Displacement map – for fine detail depth